Thursday, May 30, 2013

Name Your Price

                                                             NAME YOUR PRICE
                                                                By: Nydia Zapata

( Source: Humanitarian Alliance Blog/http://humanitarianalliance.wordpress.com/tag/offenders/)
Slapped, punched, scratched, slammed, any other violent remark that you could imagine is happening at this moment to a female in this world. This abuse is coming from middle aged men, men like this that are leaving their wives at home and paying these under aged girls for sex. That right here is called sex trafficking, things like this are happening as we speak. Today, yesterday, and the day before that, things like this will even happen tomorrow. Poor innocent little and teenaged girls throwing away their lives to do something someone is forcing them to do. None of this was ever their choice, this life was chosen for them. These girls are going through so much in so little time. They say it takes 9 months for someone to be born, but only a second to die. These girls had no choice in their lives to make the certain discussions they wanted too. Their owners were quick to grab, but even quicker to pull the trigger and end their lives within that one second. This is an issue that has continued to expand over the years.


When I was 5 I was in school, I played with my toys, and I had a nap time. Thats what 5 year olds do, they eat, play, sleep and do other things kids do. One thing a 5 year old doesn't do is be put into sex trafficking. Around the world between 50 and 60 percent of the children who are trafficked into sexual slavery are under age 16 (http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Child-Sex-Trafficking-The-Facts). Not only that but an estimated 1.2 million children are trafficked each year. (http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Child-Sex-Trafficking-The-Facts) Around the world children are being sold and or trade into sex trafficking for a living. These children aren’t only being put into sex trafficking, but these little girls are having their vaginas sewed back together, so that they would be picked again. One example around the world would be “Men in Cambodia will pay thousand dollars to rape a virgin for a week.” (Mam, pg 59) In my opinion this sounds like the sickest thing that was ever introduced to me as a 15 year girl. When I think about topics like this I put myself in the situation. When I think about things like this I just say to myself that, that one person could be me. That could be me getting punched and slapped. Having the wind knocked right out of me. That could be me bleeding non stop, I could be that 5 year old little girl feeling that needle piercing straight down there. Feeling the thread going in and out and through my vagina. Having the screaming killing my throat. Not only that but having my vagina being reopen over 3 times due to sex. Feeling the cuts and tairs of my vagina being reopened, sewed, reopened, then sewed again. Almost feeling like a knife being cut right into me. Starting off slow, then increasing the pressure. Somebodies nasty sweat falling on my body, having to take all those hits and coming out with scars and bruises, scars and bruises that hold stories. But not only a story but a memory. A memory that would lie with me for as long as I would be able to remember. That memory just might be my whole life, haunting me likes its haunting Somaly Mam today.


(Source: Road of Lost Innocence by Somaly Mam)
    Somaly Mam is one women I would forever respect. This woman wrote a book called The Road of Innocence having to do with everything I’m talking to you about. If anyone were to ever tell me that they hate their lives one more time, I’m seriously going to mention this amazing woman. I respect this woman so much, everything that she’s ever been through has been nothing but hell. She went through rape, being sold to the botherl by her own family. Not only that but this woman right here was only 14 when she got into the lifestyle of being a prostitute. And im only 15, that could’ve been me. Somaly is a strong women that went through alot, there was alot of times that she could’ve ended her life, but she didn’t want too. Even though she was lied too, beaten, raped, sold a few times she forever kept her head held high. She made it through everything, surprisingly. One thing i noticed as I was reading her book was that, she wasn’t always thinking about herself, but other people. Even though it was a situation that requires you to depend on yourself and just try to make out there alive, she actually thought about some people that she had working along with her within the botherl. Somaly Mam opened not only my eyes, but others as well. The amount of awards she won are phenomenal.
  • Prince of Asturias Award for International Cooperation in the presence of Queen Sofia of Spain, 1998
  • CNN Hero, 2006
  • Glamour Woman of the Year 2006
  • Olympic flag bearer, 2006 Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony, Torino, Italy.
  • Honorary Doctor of Public Service from Regis University
  • US State Department “Heroes of Anti-Trafficking” award
  • World's Children's Prize for the Rights of the Child in Sweden for her "dangerous struggle" to defend the rights of children in Cambodia.]
  • Roland Berger Human Dignity Award 2008
  • TIME magazine's 100 most influential people, with the accompanying article written by actress Angelina Jolie, 2009
  • The Guardian Top 100 Women: Activists and Campaigners, 2011
  • The Daily Beast Women in the World, 2011
  • “Mimosa D’Oro”
  • Festival du Scoop Prize, France
  • Excmo Ayuntaniento de Galdar Concejalia de Servicio Sociale, Spain.


    Us as a unit, as the youth can change things like this. Especially us females, we have the right to put an end to this, make things happen and stop sex trafficking for good. We can do things like start petitions organize some type of moment, we have to start small but something small can mean the world to that one 5 year old that could still someday have a childhood. Another thing would be not only talking to females and seeing how we can come together and change something, but also talking to the men and young men. Go into their mind and see what’s going on and why they do the things they do and try to change their thinking a little bit. The smallest things can change something so big, if we just start talking to people.

No comments:

Post a Comment